There is the expectation that all children wear the uniform when attending the academy, or when participating in an academy-organised event outside normal academy hours.
Our academy uniform is based on the notion that it:
- promotes a sense of pride;
- engenders a sense of community and belonging;
- is practical, smart, safe and hardwearing for indoor and outdoor learning in keeping with our academy’s ethos;
- identifies the children with the academy;
- makes children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance and prevents distractions caused by latest fashion and trends;
- provides good value for money.
The branded academy uniform is available from the SPT Uniform shop on Garforth Main Street, which also provides a wide range of the items specific to all the academies and schools within Garforth. The shop is open on a regular basis. General items, such as trousers, skirts, pinafores, shirts etc. are available from a large number of other retailers.
We do not allow children to wear jewellery at GLPA. The exception to this rule is earring studs in pierced ears. We ask the children to either remove earrings during PE and games, or cover them with a plaster/surgical tape, to prevent them from causing injury. Children may also wear a watch (not a Smart watch).
GLPA wants all children to grow into healthy adults. We ask that all children wear shoes that are safe (closed toe), sensible and suitable for outdoor learning (flat shoes, no heels). Trainers may be brought to school to change into for outdoor PE lessons. If children arrive in trainers they will be asked to change into a pair of pumps and change back at home time.
Hair should be neat, no extreme haircuts and the child’s own natural colour.
No make-up is to be worn by the children of the Academy and no nail varnish. The exception to this rule is on designated fancy dress days.
In order to avoid confusion and to keep Lost Property to a minimum, all items of clothing, P.E. kit, bags etc. MUST be clearly named.
We believe that parents have a duty to send their children to GLPA correctly dressed and ready for their daily schoolwork. Parents have the responsibility of ensuring their child has the correct uniform and that it is clean and in good repair.
If any parent would like the academy to modify the uniform and appearance, they should make representation, in the first instance, to the Head of Academy.
The academy welcomes children from all backgrounds and faith communities. If there are serious reasons, for example on religious grounds, why parents want their child to wear clothes that differ from the academy uniform, the academy will consider such requests.
The governing body monitors and reviews the academy uniform policy through its committee work by:
- seeking the views of parents,
- Considering, with the Principal, any requests from parents for individual children to have special dispensation with regard to academy uniform.
Second Hand Uniform
Donated/recycled school uniform is displayed in the KS1 entrance. This is open 8.45-9.15 daily. Parents may browse and help themselves to items. As children grow out of uniform, we welcome donations via the school office. If you would like access outside these hours please contact the school office.
Academy Uniform List
- Navy trousers
- Navy skirt
- Plain navy shorts (No logos)
- Navy pinafore dress
- Blue gingham summer dress
- White polo shirt (Plain or with Academy logo)
- Jade polo shirt with Academy logo.
- White collared shirt
- Navy round necked sweatshirt (Plain or with Academy logo)
- Navy cardigan (Plain or with Academy logo)
- Socks: navy blue, black or white
- Tights: Navy blue, black or white
- Shoes :Navy blue, brown or black. Boots may be worn in winter as long as they are plain and flat (no heels). In summer children are still required to wear full shoes (no sandals).
PE and School Sport
- Navy PE shorts, White PE Shirt (Plain or with academy logo) and pumps
- Additional Outdoor PE Wear: Trainers, tracksuit top and bottoms (No football strips).
Nursery Uniform - (Non-compulsory) but most of the children wear the uniform as listed above.
Bags - Children should bring a GLPA book bag to school daily, plus a drawstring bag for PE kit. We do not have the room in cloakrooms for large backpacks. Children who cycle to school may bring a backpack to school.